The Central Virginia TPO engages in a number of transportation planning activities each year.
Transportation Plans formulate goals, measures and objectives to maintain and improve the transportation network. Plans will often identify potential funding sources which can be used to make such improvements.
The TPO’s most overarching plan is the Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP). The LRTP sets a collective vision for the region’s future transportation system and identifies projects that are intended to achieve regional goals and objectives. The plan considers all modes of surface transportation: including cars, trucks, public transit, biking, walking, and more. LRTPs can also address issues such as bridge maintenance and air travel. These plans must be updated every five years; the most recent LRTP is called Connect Central Virginia 2045.
In addition to the LRTP, the TPO partners with our member localities to create other types of plans, such as small area plans, or multimodal transportation plans such as the Town of Alta Vista’s Bike/Walk Plan.
Long Range Transportation Plans
- Town of Bedford Bike|Walk Plan (2019)
- Graves Mill Road Corridor Plan (2018)
- Route 221 Corridor Plan (2014)
- Greenways, Blueways, and Trail Plan (2012)
- Lynchburg Area Greenway Alliance Strategic Plan (2012)
- Bicycle Plan (2010)
- Regional Action Plan for Coordinated Land Use and Transportation Planning (2007)